Honey-roasted rhubarb and strawberry pie
Sugarless fruit pie using the fruits of late spring
- 4 cups strawberries frozen or fresh
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb in 1/2 slices
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp rosemary, sage, mint, or other green leafy herb for flavor (optional)
- 2 tbsp apricot preserves (with or without sugar - your preference)
- 1 pie crust (gluten free works great)
- Blind bake crust in pan for 10 minutes at 400. Let cool.
- Keep oven at 400. Place parchment on a cookie sheet, makingsure that there’s some overhang as the roasted fruit will generate asubstantial amount of liquid. Toss strawberries, rhubarb, honey, cornstarch,salt, orange juice, leafy herbs (if using), and vanilla. Spread on parchment.Roast for 30 minutes, turning once or twice to evenly roast. Expect the rhubarband strawberries to create a lot of juice.
- Pull from oven, let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain fruit,reserving liquid. Place leftover liquid in a small saucepan. Boil to reduce to1/4th of original volume. Mix with fruit and place in pie crust.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Microwave preservesin a coffee cup or small safe bowl for 30 seconds and grab a pastry brush. After the first 20 minutes of the pie back, brush the top of the fruit with theglaze (melted preserves). Bake another 5 minutes and then reduce oven heat to 350°. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes depending on how ‘done’ you want the pie to be.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Enjoy! (Works great with ice cream or if you're skipping dairy, try a spoonful of plant milk over the warm pie for a delicious texture).